10-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #38
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Are cold, frosty adult beverages being imbibed before these altercations? Would public intoxication be an avenue for LEO to break up a non-physical spat?????
We could go the public intoxication route, but they would need to be on their lawn/outdoors AND intoxicated to such a degree that they can't exercise care or concern for their own safety or the safety of others (...e.g...piss poor drunk, stumbling, etc.). This wouldn't apply to the person who had a few drinks. Additionally, I/we would have a hard time justifying arresting somebody on their lawn or front porch even if they were intoxicated, especially because they can walk 10 ft. and be inside of their home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Non emergency line. It will be dispatched to us as a family disturbance call.
So would it be worth calling? I mean if nothing is going to happen i dont want to waste an officers time.

As far as i can tell no alcohol is involved. It mostly seems to be the female who owns the house that initiates the fights.
You can call. It's what we're paid to investigate, even if it's stupid relationship drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
My thoughts are.....

...let the involved parties initiate police contact if there's nothing physical occurring. A lot of the time we get informants calling who want to remain anonymous and we arrive to find that it's verbal only. We can't force people to leave toxic situations, so if it hasn't risen to the level of corporal injury upon a spouse/co-habitant (...or at least a misdemeanor level DV act), there really isn't anything law enforcement can do.

I know it's frustrating, but you run the risk of retaliation should they believe you had something to do with the police contacting them. That, or further frustration when we arrive and determine there's no crime (...and the arguments continue).
Does OP's city have quiet hours? If so, could LEO do something with loud arguments happening beyond the cutoff?
Most cities have quiet hours; usually after 10pm. Even then it's just a citation. Nobody is going to jail over loud noise.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615139.00