View Single Post
      10-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #1
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Anyone sold on the idea of the new Macbook Air?

My grey bezel Macbook Air is getting out of date. Mind you it still looks new and very functional but it's not going to last forever.

Has anyone switched over from their old Macbook Air to the new one yet?

I can tell you right of the bat that I'll miss the Magsafe plug, the SD card slot (I currently have a 256GB half length card that fits flush with the unit) and various USB ports that are still being used with most devices.

The new Macbook is smaller and has a better screen but I would have to give up all of those ports in favor of 2 USB-C (one of them which will probably be used to charge the thing)

To me giving up all of those ports seems like going backward. It's not like giving up the seldom used CD drive in the old laptop.

I realize you can get a USB-C magnet power adaptor and USB-C to USB Adaptor. But all of these extra bulk defeats the simplicity and looks of a Macbook.

I'm not too thrilled about the new short stroke butterfly keys either.

So, if you have an old Macbook Air would you be willing to compromise the functionality of your laptop for the new machine?

If they're going to make this unit so minimalist, why not omit the ports altogether and just use an induction charger?

END RANT
Appreciate 0