10-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #143
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Wowie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I will gather my thoughts together in the coming days and post a few here. I started when I was 10 or so and there were basically 5 or 6 races broadcasted in the states: The USGP, The British GP, Monaco, The German GP, the Italian GP and on occasion the French GP. We had to wait and read Autosport and Road and Track for the rest of the races. Rob Walker and Innes Ireland (former drivers and owners) were my fav writers. I still correspond with Innes Irelands daughter on FB.

My fav drivers in chronological pretty much order were Hunt, Villeneuve, Lauda, Tambay, Senna, Hill, Coulthard, MSC and HAM. Love Norris, LEC and RIC now, as well.

As far as luminaries go, I've met Lauda (intense), MSC, ROS, Ross Brawn (super smart guy), Binotta, Coulthard (biggest party animal on the planet), Maylander (safety car driver), Norbert Haug (former head of Mercedes motorsport), Jamie Green, Robert Wickens, Suzie Wolff, and dozens of people we watch on TV during each race. One of my good friends introduced Lewis and Nicole S. I also correspond with one of the TPs once a quarter or so.

There is nothing like Formula One and hanging out with the teams is simply the best thing on the planet if you are a racing fan.

To say that I love Formula One is the understatement of the year.

I'll start with a quick one that was pretty funny. We were in the Mercedes Benz private club at the track and everyone is mingling. I'm with a buddy of mine who went to grab a couple of drinks and this beautiful young lady walks up to me and asks if I'm an American. I say, "Maybe...why?". She replied "Yes you are...I wish to practice my English!!" I reach out my hand to introduce myself saying, "My name is MK...I'm pleased to meet you." She lights me up with a beaming smile and says, "Great to meet you!! My name is Enis...it rhymes with penis." It turned out that she was one of the models for the Mercedes Benz Fashion Show. What an amazing race weekend!!

Thanks for your insights, as well! I love reading your writings!!

Cheers-mk
SO incredible!
I'm with you regarding following motorsport in the 60's, 70's and 80's....the majority of information and updates were in print (Autosport, National Speed Sport News, etc) which meant it took forever to receive racing results, etc. The only magazine I currently subscribe to is GP Racing (formerly F1 Racing) which is a UK publication.

In 1990 or 91, I sent a hand written note to Bob Varsha to recognize him for calling his 100th GP on ESPN TV....he typed (yes, a typewriter!) me a note thanking me.

I met Nigel Mansell in 1993 which was his first year in Indy Car. I drove down from Seattle to watch the Portland race. Nige had just won the 1992 F1 WDC and retired from F1 and came to the US to race Indy Car. I'm standing there in a Williams Racing hat and Williams Constructors t-shirt ....he looked at me and was a bit blown away to find a US fan "wearing his gear". Nige signed my hat! I had large eyebrows and a large moustache and a camera crew saw me in the pits and for a moment, thought I was Nigel....well that didn't last long.

Clarify your correspondence with the "TP's"....what is a TP?

There is a US lad that lives in the northeast and he frequents this site. He attended multiple USGP's at Watkins Glen.

Keep the correspondence coming.

Last edited by racerbruce; 10-25-2020 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50