racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Wowie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Wow!!!

Your experience parallels mine, exactly but for the near disaster at the end. I was invited by a client to attend a race in Charlotte several years ago as their CEO sponsored a team. Like you, I had access, full hearing protection and got to stand behind the lines for the start. They were shooting 4 up at this time.

Nothing can prepare you for this.

I'm fairly certain I was having heart palpitations from the vibrations the cars caused. I experienced everything you described. It was nerve wracking in the extreme. I've never felt unsafe at any race track until this time. It gave me the heebie-jeebies the entire time I was back there. I lasted 4 races then decided to go to the finish line and "enjoy" the race. Nope. Not enjoyable. A car passing by at 330 MPH was not fun for me.

Great and unique experience...but I'll never do it again!!

Have you been back since then?
You have first-hand experience to know/feel the insanity of a Top Fuel Dragster accelerating 0-100 MPH in 0.7 seconds (7/10ths)....it just surreal to see a car that goes 0-330 MPH in 3.7 seconds....in just 1,000 feet!!!!. And....you were at a 4-wide event where they launch 4 of these beasts....I haven't seen a 4 wide event and it must be insane to see 4 each 12,000 HP Top Fuel Dragsters launching!

I have; I go to Fri quali every year when the NHRA professionals come to the Great Pacific Northwest....at Pacific Raceways https://pacificraceways.com/ This is an incredible road course with significant elevation change, drag strip, HPDE venue, etc. I've been here for the annual vintage races and have seen Sir Jackie Stewart's Tyrell F1 machine in action! Oh, the sound of the Ford Cosworth V8 at redline....

My annual trek to see the Crazy Boys & Girls (aka Top Fuel Nitromethane "cars") is awesome. I have developed a close relationship with Antron Brown, one of the drivers in Top Fuel Dragster and he has won the National Championship 3 times https://antronbrown.com/ Antron invites me into his pits and into the transporter and I have a close-up chance to watch the team rebuild the engine between each round of racing, which consists of removing the supercharger, both heads, the oil pan, the 8 pistons, the 6 disc clutch, install new parts, re-assemble, re-pack the two parachutes, mix and pour in the nitromethane fuel, start the engine, set the timing, etc....and all of this is completed in 40 MINUTES....it's mechanical acrobats diving on the car and performing world-class skills.

Last edited by racerbruce; 10-25-2020 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50