View Single Post
      12-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #60
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by retart13 View Post
I have a question about the driving plus. I'm currently considering (in the near future) getting an X3 M40i or M340i with the full driving assist pro package.

My next job will have a long commute (~60 miles each way on US limited access highway for a majority of the trip) without rush hour interference. The Extended traffic jam assist looks awesome, but I'm primarily concerned with open freeway features (driving around 75 mph).

-How does the tech work as far as letting you relax on open road?
-Has anyone compared with Cadilac's supercruise handsfree feature?
So - it works inasmuch at speeds above 40mph you will have to keep regular contact with the wheel (throws a warning after about 10-15 seconds of no-contact), but the LKAS and Steering Assist will keep you in lane, mind the gap between the car in front of you (at whichever distance interval you select), and smack the breaks if needed. Yes, you can set the cruise above the posted limit. Yes it will slow you down if behind a slower car, but will speed back up to the setting once the car gets out of the way (or you change lanes).

It will not make lane-changes for you as far as I can tell in mine, but will automatically resume after you execute the lane change.

Additionally, it won't take exits for you. I still find the assistance helpful. Feet off the pedals, a hand on the wheel that's generally doing all the work. But as with all things, nothing is truly autonomous yet, and the liability remains with the driver to pay attention.

I drive a ~20 mile total commute through some heavy traffic for 6-7 miles nearly every day, and the traffic jam assist lets me completely drop my hands, feet off, eyes forward and blissfully gets me through the worst of it (no exits). That right there, has been amazing for me.
Appreciate 0