08-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
So not to dis the Mustang, they are a great car for the money and could be a lot of fun. But the reason to buy one is because you really want a Mustang. If you are doing it just for the cost saving I'm going to suggest that what you really want is the Porsche, and if you get the Mustang you'll always be looking at Porsches.

I've owned both, albeit different model years.

The Porsche has likely almost reached it's low end on depreciation.

"We all want the 911, but am I being a bit silly?" Sounds like you know the answer.

Just my two cents.

Haven't owned a Porsche yet, but as you know I'm a Corvette guy. But I cut my teeth on mustangs....imustangs....its how I learned to love wrenching on cars. Restored my first one completely by the age of 15. I repaired/replaced everything except for paint. I've owned so many I can't count them because as soon as I would finish one, I would sell it and start another project.

Driving them only gave me a couple months of satisfaction and I found my real love was working on them.

Only the classics will recoup any money aside from the Terminator I once had and wish I had kept.

You only live once and if you can soundly afford it, get the Porsche as it sounds like that is what you want. I'm sure there have to be some weekend road trips you could take to find some nice places to put it through its paces. Maybe even a track somewhere.

Not dissing any car, but I see a stang, Camaro, or challenger on almost every street car. And the only cars that turn my head aside from corvettes and other classic cars are Porsches and other exotics.