09-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #52
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dreams View Post
After being a BMW nut for almost 20 years, and owning 3 during this time (E46 330, E90 M3, E82 135), I am saddened to say, I am taking all the BMW paraphernalia out of my sight and out of my home. I just drove the latest 330 and was so thoroughly disappointed. It's not a bad car, and by millennial standards has enough tech gadgets to win over most people. It's just that BMW has sold their sole to the bean counters and now wants to be a Toyota, a car company that produces cars for everyone. From Grandma/pa, Mom/Dad hauling kids, to fresh graduates out of college. There was a time BMWs "Ultimate Driving Machine" logo was adorned on wannabe civics but now I am not sure their product befits their tag line. They need to let that go.

The M2 Competition is the last BMW I will buy on the used market to compliment my just-purchased Porsche Boxster S (Hydraulic steering, non-turbo flat 6, row your own gears kind of car)
I completely understand where you're coming from but...the M2 competition is not even remotely in the same category/class as the 3 series sedan. It's a completely different car for a completely different buyer.

Listen, BMW is in the business of selling cars. Even Porsche with the weight of VW behind them had to come up with the cayenne/macan to stay afloat. The young new car buyer and the market demands SUVs/tech/isolation/comfort etc. That being said, BMW still delivered a car and tried to meet us more than half way. The car handles extremely well. It's so nimble and light feeling for its size and mass. The steering is not super heavy but is weighted nicely. It's comfortable and can hit 0-60 in 5.3(conservatively) while getting 40mpg on the highway. What more do people want? Does your daily commute take you through the nurburgring? I have some twisty back roads on my commute and i push this car so hard around turns yet can' barely get the tires to squeal. It's so composed and begging for more.

Everyone keeps repeating the same talking point about how incredible the Giulia is to drive-Is it all that great day to day though? There i said it. The brake peddle is a pile of mush that gives me no confidence in spirited driving. Everyone overlooks the steering which is lighter than a Camry, yet everyone seems to give the 3 series so much criticism for. The interior is from Chrysler parts bin and looks like its from 2009-def not $45k car worthy. Not a huge fan of the styling inside and out either. Not to mention the dealer/service/reliability issues. It's also not any cheaper leasing wise than a 330i.

Just out of curiosity, if you had to choose a car- what would you recommend in the luxury sports sedan category if not the 3 series ?

Last edited by alpinewhite3; 09-13-2019 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50