09-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #53
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
I completely understand where you're coming from but...the M2 competition is not even remotely in the same category/class as the 3 series sedan. It's a completely different car for a completely different buyer.

Listen, BMW is in the business of selling cars. Even Porsche with the weight of VW behind them had to come up with the cayenne/macan to stay afloat. The young new car buyer and the market demands SUVs/tech/isolation/comfort etc. That being said, BMW still delivered a car and tried to meet us more than half way. The car handles extremely well. It's so nimble and light feeling for its size and mass. The steering is not super heavy but is weighted nicely. It's comfortable and can hit 0-60 in 5.3 while getting 40mpg on the highway. What more do people want? Does your daily commute take you through the nurburgring? I have some back twisty roads on my commute and i push this car so hard around turns yet can' barely get the tires to squeal. It's so composed and begging for more.

Everyone keeps repeating the same talking point about how incredible the Giulia is to drive-Is it all that great day to day though? There i said it. The brake peddle is a pile of mush that gives me no confidence in spirited driving. The steering is lighter than a Camry which everyone seems to give the new 3 series so much criticism for. The interior is from Chrysler parts bin and looks like its from 2009. Not a huge fan of the styling inside and out either. Not to mention the dealer/service/reliability issues. It's also not any cheaper leasing wise than a 330i.

Just out of curiosity, if you had to choose a car- what would you recommend in the luxury sports sedan category if not the 3 series ?
This will be controversial to many on here, but I'd actually recommend a Genesis G70. Yes it is a Hyundai derived product, but honestly if you can get past the badge, for the price it does many things just as well as a 3 series can and even surpasses it in some categories. Apparently a new valet service is also available (free for the first 3-years) meaning you physically don't have to visit the dealer which solves one of the Genesis' shortcomings, and while there are others (no car is perfect) its still a great car in many respects.

If you don't need 4-doors I'd go straight for a 2-Series as while the M2 gets all the praise and glory, the M240i and even the 230i are fantastic little coupes and handle very well.

For something new and different a Model 3 is something I'd recommend as well, as it really is a car like nothing else.

For a something aggressive and even a little more raw feeling, a C43 is also a good choice.

Of course I'd primarily recommend a 3-Series to someone, but there are many competing cars that are also very good that may fit someone better. Its no longer the early 2000's, competition is a good thing, and right now the competition has some great vehicles too, honestly you can't go wrong with many of these vehicles.