09-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #60
M3Dreams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83,F30340,E82135,E90M3,E46330

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
I completely understand where you're coming from but...the M2 competition is not even remotely in the same category/class as the 3 series sedan. It's a completely different car for a completely different buyer.

Listen, BMW is in the business of selling cars. Even Porsche with the weight of VW behind them had to come up with the cayenne/macan to stay afloat. The young new car buyer and the market demands SUVs/tech/isolation/comfort etc. That being said, BMW still delivered a car and tried to meet us more than half way. The car handles extremely well. It's so nimble and light feeling for its size and mass. The steering is not super heavy but is weighted nicely. It's comfortable and can hit 0-60 in 5.3(conservatively) while getting 40mpg on the highway. What more do people want? Does your daily commute take you through the nurburgring? I have some twisty back roads on my commute and i push this car so hard around turns yet can' barely get the tires to squeal. It's so composed and begging for more.

Everyone keeps repeating the same talking point about how incredible the Giulia is to drive-Is it all that great day to day though? There i said it. The brake peddle is a pile of mush that gives me no confidence in spirited driving. Everyone overlooks the steering which is lighter than a Camry, yet everyone seems to give the 3 series so much criticism for. The interior is from Chrysler parts bin and looks like its from 2009-def not $45k car worthy. Not a huge fan of the styling inside and out either. Not to mention the dealer/service/reliability issues. It's also not any cheaper leasing wise than a 330i.

Just out of curiosity, if you had to choose a car- what would you recommend in the luxury sports sedan category if not the 3 series ?
I don't need a 4 door necessarily, and can do with a two door M2C. The M2 reminds me of the driving style and feeling that made me fall in love with BMW. Like I said, the new 3 is not a bad car, it just does not elicit the confidence inspiring feeling I am used to with the E generation cars. You are right that BMW has to sell cars to younger generations who want the car to self drive and hence all the tech wizardry is bringing in the isolation. They have taken all mechanical components out of steering, brakes, accelerator, transmission and made them electronic to facilitate self/assisted driving modes. I get that's what the new generation wants in a car. But then why call yourself the Ultimate Driving Machine when the driver is not even involved in driving.

To answer your question, I would recommend any E generation BMW over ANY other car, but I will ask them this question first: "Which car did they learn to drive with?" and based on their answer would recommend a BMW or a Porsche from that era.
Appreciate 0