View Single Post
      06-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #1
Sootchucker
Rep
Drives: VW Golf MK7.5 GTI

Newbie G20 Questions

Hi all, newbie here. Currently driving a 2018 MK7.5 GTI and have owned exclusively Volkswagen's for the last 20 years. I’m now thinking it might be time for a change. To be honest I’ve never really looked at BMW’s, but I have to say to really liking the new 2020 G20 3 series model.

So, as I have zero experience of BMW, I do have a number of questions please (apologies in advanced if there are too many). The model I’m looking at is the UK spec 320i (petrol) M-Sport or M-Sport Plus models (with a few options). Some of the questions might seem very obvious to seasoned BMW owners, but like I say, the brand would be entirely new to me.

So to the questions:

Can anyone tell me why on the new 2020 price list, the “standard” 320i M-Sport lists at £36,200, and the 320i M-Sport Plus Edition at £41,025 (a difference of £4,825), and yet in the options list, it list the M-Sport Plus package (code ZMS) at “only” £2,950 as an add on package to the M-Sport ?

Generally speaking, what’s the reliability like on BMW petrol modes. Whilst VW certainly isn’t at the top of the list in this regards, I have to say in the last 20 years and 7 cars, the list of issues or failures I can count on the fingers of one hand, and the last 3 MK7 Golf’s (touch wood), have all been faultlessly reliable.

I really like the Metallic Portimao Blue1, but as I understand it this colour isn’t available on M-Sport Plus models? Is there a blue in the Sport-Plus that’s similar?

As I’ll no doubt be going for 19” alloys (as that’s what my Golf has), I was considering the adaptive suspension but this only appears to be part of the M-Sport Plus package (i.e. not available separately) is that correct ?

Does the car have SD card slots for music or is it all now streamed by connected apps (I currently have most of my music on a 128GB SD card). Also, whilst we are talking about apps, I’ve heard that Spotify and Apple Carplay aren’t there as standard and have to be “downloaded” is that correct, and that BMW charges annually for Apple Carplay ?

Also, connected to the above, I’ve heard that BMW has never supported Android Auto (which is what I use all the time in the Golf as my phone is a Samsung Galaxy). I hear rumours that this is coming (finally) to BMW, but is this actually true and therefore does anyone know if it will be a “free” upgrade when it arrives (let’s not get into a discussion on Carplay vs Android Auto).

I don’t do much night-time driving on rural and country lanes so will not be specing the BMW laser light option (no matter how good they are), but are the standard adaptive headlights still good enough. My Golf has the adaptive LED lighting package, so not only bends around corners but can track cars ahead and mask off part of the main beam so as not to dazzle oncoming drivers whilst still maintaining main beam all the time. To be honest, I’ve used this feature twice since I’ve had the car in 2 years.

My Golf has active traffic sign recognition (i.e. a camera on the windscreen reads road signs and then active displays then on the digital dash). Does the M-Sport come with that feature as standard or are they just static signs and read off the cars Navigation data rather than via a camera ?

Sorry to keep referring back to my Golf, but that’s my only point of reference. This also has the upgraded “Dynaudio” hifi with a sub-woofer in the spare wheel. As I’m trying to keep the configuration costs reasonable, I’ve current not specified the optional Harman Kardon system for £820, so my question is what does the “standard” stereo sound like please ?

Think that’s all for now, and once again apologies for so many questions from a newbie, but you would be a big help if I could get opinions on a few of them at least ?

Last edited by Sootchucker; 06-23-2020 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0