08-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #49
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Yes, CLAR. BMW does not yet have a scaleable dedicated electric platform. They have the i3's platform, but unfortunately it cannot scale and will not be reused.

Indeed. BMW is the perhaps the only major manufacturer in the EV game who has not said a word about a dedicated electric vehicle matrix. Ford, GM, VW, Mercedes, Hyundai Motor Group, Renault-Nissan, Stellantis (by way of PSA), and even Toyota and Honda now have something in the pipeline. Products are arriving starting this year. BMW is still, it would appear, betting on being able to compete until at least the middle of the decade using only their existing CLAR and FAAR toolkits.
This will be the drawback for me. I would have bought the iX3, if it had been available when I replaced my 330e in Jan, but it wasn't; so I went with a 2020 530e. In two or three years, when I replace that ICE-platform PHEV, it will most likely be with an EV-only platform, rather than one of BMW's multi-purpose platforms. The only thing that could change that expectation is the BMW having a significantly lower cost--highly unlikely, IMO. The CLAR and FAAR toolkits will be very long in the tooth by mid-decade compared to the true EV's from everyone else starting in 2022. Here's hoping that the market will not have moved away from ICE platforms sooner than BMW can make up for it's ICE/PHEV/EV combined platform strategy.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00