JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Disagree with this, maybe it was accurate when awd was first introduced but in modern bmws the xdrive system is full integrated into the stability control and traction management systems. The computers are constantly balancing torque delivery using the awd diff front/rear and the electronic rear diff left/right. IMO you are handicapping the car by choosing rwd. For a modern performance awd system it's like cutting off an arm by taking away the ability to use the front wheels
We continue to disagree. Although you are correct about system integration, that is a necessity if one is to have a modern AWD system with the associated powertrain/chassis electronics. Although the car does exactly what you suggest, the actual practical real world benefit is nil to miniscule other than in the climate conditions previously discussed, and the downsides persist. The analogy of cutting off an arm is not all all applicable for vehicles such as the 3 Series, short of an M3 (or other higher power, exotic vehicles), where getting the high-performance torque of the powertrain to the road via two tires' contact patches could be more easily overwhelmed, with a loss of traction. For the 330 or 340, adding AWD is more akin to asking an athlete to run a sprint while carrying another 100lbs.
Hey BMW- give the m340i a cut off switch for and like the M 😏

Great debate going on here. It's great to read both perspectives.

As a diehard RWD guy- and having driven both, I prefer AWD now. This power needs it.

I owned 04 330i, 06 530i, 09 911- all RWD. I now have a C4 911 stick- night and day difference of a true daily sports car with awd.

I've driven the m340 and x version. Hands down the more planted car is the x.

No clue about the track. All I can say about the track is the P car shines at all speeds on the track with awd. I'm sure the x does too on bmw.
Appreciate 0