View Single Post
      09-22-2022, 10:54 AM   #233
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
I'm surprised by all the talk about superior driving feel on RWD, given that 99% of us spend 99.999% on public roads where you can't exactly stretch the limits of these cars. AWD wins out by a landslide for me based on where and how I'll be driving the car 99.99% of the time.
This is completely applicable to daily driving on public roads and does not require any stretching of limits to experience, although your location in New England can understandably affect your point of view. Where I live, it never snows. The issue is more specific than "driving feel". It's the discernable difference in steering feel and how responsive the front of the car is to changes in direction due to excess weight. It was easy to identify with an A/B test drive comparison before I ordered. Jalopnik identified the same phenomenon with a lower weight over the front wheels when they preferred the lighter 4 cylinder engine in the 2 Series. Weight and its placement in the vehicle are always major factors.

If I lived in your climate, in addition to having dedicated winter tires, I'd likely opt for AWD as well. However, freed from that issue, and wanting the nimbler and more responsive steering and transition feel, RWD remains the preference. BTW, adding a strut tower brace also enhances this experience.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 09-22-2022 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 1