06-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #134
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post
Everything out of focus has bokeh. Bokeh just describes the quality of the blur in the out of focus area.

Depth of field just describes the distance between the nearest object and furthest.

I've been struggling with what's difficult to understand about bokeh. Bokeh is not DOF, or out of focus areas, but how the out of focus areas are rendered. The depth of field may be shallow or deep, but the quality of the blur is the bokeh. This is what may or may not give expensive lenses an advantage as they typically have more, and rounded, aperture blades. Something like the nifty-fifty (Canon), having only five aperture blades, may not render as impressive bokeh as say the Pentacon 135 f/2.8, with its 15 aperture blades.

In a nutshell, Bokeh is just the quality of the blur in out of focus areas. Judging the quality is what's left to the interpretation of the viewer.
this is how i always preceived it.

I think what a lot of people are looking for is a suject to be far from the background so that they have 1 solid out of focus area that is like a smear. this is a perfect situation, which in the real world is hard to come by, so the result is people debating OOF vs Bukah.

I think a lot of people here just don't like to see the transition area from focus to out of focus and that's what's bothering people.
Appreciate 0