View Single Post
      02-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #111
mx125
Rep
Drives: M340i

Long message on m340i coding . . followed by a question that may not yet have an answer:

Steve at codemybimmer coded my m340i (lasers). I will say the customer service and professionalism was incredible. Absolutely prompt and flexible. I also had issue which I will describe. Steven stayed with me for over 90 mins in test drive and troubleshooting and connected 4-5 times.

Anyway, recoded a number of things - but anti dazzle was key focus. He uses full euro spec light coding rather than just removing 5AC. I am not sure what that entails. Results amazing. Shockingly effective movement of beams in VERY dynamic environments. 3 lane Highway (in both directions) with cars in front, oncoming and approaching from rear. Amazing. Divided county roads and rural roads. No flashing and obvious mitigation as it was misty / foggy.

However, pretty quickly developed a recurring right turn signal fault. I continued testing lighting and driving through weekend. Fast flash on dash, warning and would usually reset after a restart. Errors extracted in system showed over-voltage etc. in right signal. Odd. We assumed bad cable (given very wet weather).

Took to BMW for normal first service and a recall, and noted the error. I did not mention coding. 3 days, they claim cable was ok and did software update on light. Also updated firmware and idrive as there are slight differences. Cleared all of the coding, however.

Steven re-coded again but with only removal of 5AC (ie NA spec). Seems to work with no errors but have not been in dark environment to get full dynamic test.

Perhaps first few cars (mine delivered in May) had deeper software issues with voltage or control flaws. Or perhaps can't handle EU spec. Don't know yet.

Anyway . .question. . .

Does anyone know if the Canadian Laser strength crippling (ie anecdotally heard 300m vs 600m in Europe) is a separate parameter or embedded in 5AC anti dazzle? Is this feature still a goal of coders?

Perhaps someone has seen a difference in throw distance before and after? I'm not sure I could tell the difference. Any insight purely on the laser question would be interesting.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0