View Single Post
      09-30-2020, 01:52 AM   #58
Shomy
Serbia
Rep
Drives: G22 M440i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
New "sprint mode" sounds interesting. Is this like Porsche's sport response button?

Quote:
Besides standard Launch Control the 8-speed Sport automatic transmission on the M440i and M440i xDrive Convertibles feature a brand-new Sprint function. Pulling on the left shift paddle for at least a second engages the Driving Experience Control switch's SPORT settings for the accelerator response, exhaust note and gearshift characteristics. At the same time, the transmission will drop straight into the lowest possible gear for maximum acceleration. SPORT mode displays appear in the instrument cluster and the word SPRINT flashes up
Here is a more detailed explanation:

"With the new BMW M440i G22, a new eBoost feature will also celebrate its premiere at the end of 2020: For the first time, sprint mode offers the option of more or less manually controlling the power of the 48-volt starter generator. It is of course no coincidence that the new mode is making its debut in the BMW M440i: the provisional top 4 is the first series-production BMW with a six-cylinder and 48-volt electrical system, and at the same time, after various models, it is also equipped with the four-cylinder B48 diesel the first gasoline engine with mild hybrid technology.

The 8 kW or 11 PS of the electrically driven starter generator are primarily there to fill up the already very small turbo lag of the in-line six-cylinder petrol B58. Completely new, however, is the sprint mode, which allows the additional power to be called up by manual activation: if you press the left shift paddle for a full second, you activate the sprint mode and thus ensure that the electric motor is activated the next Acceleration maneuvers definitely give everything. In a way, it's an overtake button like in motorsport, which is supposed to make overtaking easier.

You shouldn't expect miracles from an 11 hp starter generator: anyone who gives full throttle at the wheel of the BMW M440i G22 always has enough propulsion. As soon as the minimal turbo lag is bridged, the in-line six-cylinder takes over and pushes the 4 Series Coupé with its 374 hp powerfully. In connection with such a powerful gasoline engine, it is clear that the 11 hp from the 48-volt electrical system are both subjectively and objectively receding into the background.

With the second new option for manual use of mild hybrid technology, the focus is on efficiency instead of dynamics: If you press the right shift paddle in 8th gear and thus request a shift to 9th gear, you activate it in the M440i the sailing mode. At least this feature should also be available in the new BMW 420d G22, but in this case neither the date of the market launch nor the use of 48-volt technology has been officially confirmed."

Seems like a nice feature... 😁

P.S. Kill me but I really like this Sanremo Green color and THE GRILL.. 😁
Appreciate 0