Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
How exactly is stiffness supposed to translate into ride comfort? lol
I think the G20 marks the end of BMW's dominance in this segment
Its not the best in any one thing
and the next iteration competition just gets tougher
The F30 was - relative to the market - the worst driving 3 series probably since the first gen. The F30 is what ended BMW's dominance in this segment. While capable, it was sterile and too compliant.

The G20 is adding an eDiff, a much stiffer chassis, will be noticeably lighter, supposedly has well tuned passive dampers, higher rate springs, and a steering rack with more road feel. Based on current CLAR cars, the above list of upgrades and early impressions from publications, the G20 should shape up to be a much more fun car to drive than the F30.

I personally think it also looks far more refined and polished than the F30. The F30, while overall nicely styled, looks like an E90 with some nips/tucks and a new grille. Styling is subjective anyway. For a car as popular as the 3 series, you can bet a lot more effort was put into styling it than any other car in BMW's lineup. You may not like it, but I can guarantee you a lot of people will.

Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be the absolute best in any one thing. If it can be right behind Alfa in driving (not saying it will be, but hypothetically...), and be behind Mercedes in interior quality, it can still be an overall great sport sedan. The Alfa has a LOT of faults that many people wouldn't be able to live with. The Mercedes is solid but isn't necessarily exciting until you move up to the C63.

The real problem is the lack of a manual transmission. This is something that kept the F30 alive in enthusiast circles, IMO. If the G20 drops it, then it had better step up its game in other areas. I know for me, if the F30 didn't have a manual, I definitely would have gone a different direction. The F30 just doesn't really offer many compelling features to stand out.
Appreciate 10
apascutia172.50
khailuan110.50
Shane550X127.50
Pentium184.50
Roundown575.50
cjack29.50
KevinM2935.50
GMe90356.00
Inablur163.00
CSBM52716.50