View Single Post
      11-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #18
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Why? Most commutes are just around the 35 mile range. If it's slightly longer, you'd use a small amount of fuel per day. If it's less, you'd never use fuel.

When you want to go on the occasional long road trip, you're good to go since you have the gasoline engine. You never have to worry about having to charge up the car's battery like in a long range EV with no ICE motor. A bigger battery would also cost more, use more resources, and weigh the car down. You carry all the weight of a battery at all times, whether charged or not.

There's a use case for a lot of cars, and currently for most people in the market for a 3 series, this car is the ideal compromise between pure EV and pure ICE car.
I had a Volt (48 mi) as my daily driver... A Tesla Model-X (250 mi) is currently my daily driver... I also have an i8 Roadster (20mi) as my summer toy...

200+ miles is where its at. I also have a very short commute so the Volt met my NEEDS. But the 200+ miles of the Tesla means I pretty much don't even have to THINK about range. ...and if I forget to plug her in at night its not a big deal.

Its not so much that 35 mi might meet many people's needs, it about the fact of the matter that the rest of the industry is doing so much better. When all I had was 48 that was great, but now that much longer ranges are easily available in so many vehicles, it would be very hard to go back.

BMW is still very far behind the rest of the industry. Although I'm really waiting for them to deliver something really compelling, this, unfortunately, is not it...

The i3 continues to extend its range (117 mi) and actually is more compelling than this vehicle (IMHO)...

Last edited by evanevery; 11-15-2018 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN15927.50