04-07-2020, 02:45 AM   #3
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I am a one car family so I use my 530e as my daily driver. It works great as one.

There is no reason I can think of to only charge it part way...and I don't think that is even especially good for the battery. If you don't use all your charge today, that just means you have to add less charge tomorrow.

You can definitely do the starting the AC. I live in hot greater Phoenix and in the summer the temperature can climb above 110F (43 Celsius). I will play golf in the morning and when I get through with the second to last hole I take out my phone and turn on the AC and the car is comfortable by the time I get to it. But I do use Battery Control on the way to the course to make sure I have adequate charge available to turn on and run the AC. So it will work, just make sure you have adequate charge. This is, by the way, another good reason to always fully charge when you can.

My caveat on that is that you do want to charge where and when it is least expensive. So that can impact on your charging decisions. In my city, for example, the peak time for electric rates is 3 PM to 8 PM. So I don't charge in that window.
A Lipo type battery, like the ones in EV's and hybrids shouldn't be fully charged and shouldn't be fully discharged either, if possible. Between 30 - 70% is good, and will increase the lifespan of the battery. Never let the car sit with full charge. So make sure if you charge it to 100%, you drive off right away.