05-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #12
lm1z
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Have you considered E92 M3?

The GT350 sounds and looks great but it is a BIG car, Seating position sucks, has very light steering, crappy interior etc.
I thinks its pretty different driving experience comared to BMW M.

If i were you, for a weekend car get a used 997 911.
I've had 2 E92 M3's. I definitely thought about another one however I would prefer something different. Definitely a good suggestion.

Have you driven the 350 to comment on the steering? I've heard that comment if it's not in "track" mode.

I will definitely look into a 997. The thought crossed my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I would buy the GT350 and don't care about "stigma", "it's a Ford" or the rest of it, or what other people think. Great performance for the money, high rpm special engine, not a modded standard GT, it's a great car. I will be interested in seeing how many they build, how long they build them and what the values do. Currently Boss 302's go for mid $30k's with less than 30k miles so at some point I might be interested in a used GT350.

I found that the idea of 28% of the time being the weekend worked out on paper but reality is I don't drive 28% of the miles on the weekend and there ended up being so many places and times that I needed a bigger car, I go with my wife in her car, other people, etc. that the 28% drops to a much lower percentage. At 28% GT350 and 72% Civic I would still prefer to up the daily and drop the weekend value as I don't want to daily drive a Civic most of the time when I have $70-$80k worth of cars for me personally.

My ATS and Z4M together were $65k (I think 4 years ago?) and I for me this allowed me to drive something fun all the time. Then the Z4M hasn't lost much value so depreciation is only hitting the ATS.

I never look at "out of pocket" as meaning much, instead what does it really cost me overall. I also don't lease or finance so getting an expensive car requires writing a big check which keeps me from doing it. No matter how you slice it the GT 350 or M3 are expensive cars and a relatively cheap monthly doesn't matter to me (I fully understand cheap finance rates and the value of money but prefer to not do it for reasons it keeps me from buying expensive cars I don't need.).
I 100% agree with your thoughts on the quality and performance aspect, as well as the stigma. Also interested to see how many they will build. I know production is now through 2018 but dealers are still marking these up $10k off the lot new.

I've had an E92 M and a Jeep Cherokee Overland for a daily previously. I drove my M plenty enough to justify having it as a second vehicle. I drove the M roughly 20-25% of the time and had me grinning ear to ear after getting out of the SUV. I agree about stepping up the daily - this is something I would need to think about.

Props for buying your cars in cash. This is the way to do it. My circumstances are different, as I receive my vehicles as fringe benefits (up to a certain allowance). The main switch I am making is finally starting to build equity in the vehicles I drive vs. continuing to lease and swap every 2-3 years. Even if the asset depreciates, it's better to have some equity rather than none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
cpo 981 cayman S will offer more fun on weekends than a gt350....just saying
I will definitely look into this more - I have dabbled with the idea.