Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkysTheLimit View Post
Both E90 and F80 followed the same logic.
Yes, but the differences between those M cars and the standard series cars were very subtle. Basically just the edges/sides of the grille were different, but the basic shape was essentially the same. This seems to be a much larger departure from the regular 3-series.

With that said, I think this could end up looking very good on the new M3. Proportionally taller, connected grilles like the E30 M3 had would be a nice throwback as long as it's executed properly.

It's all about design execution. For example, the X7 grille looks fantastic, but I hate what they did with the mustache-shaped grille on the M2 Competition - OG grille looks better despite the "dated" separated kidney design. The G20 3-er grille shape is more of a conservative, middle-ground approach that blends the proportions of the traditional F-series kidney shape with the larger, connected theme we are seeing now. I'm okay with the G20's grille shape, but not a fan at all of the Kia-esque grille insert on the M340i or the way the 330i grille looks when the active-aero shutters are closed.

Here's to hoping they didn't F up the new M3 somehow! We shall see!
Well said sir.

I am in agreement with you.