View Single Post
      10-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #12
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

I am in a similar boat. I have a 2003 540i with the 6 speed. I love it, but it needs significant work to be 100% or as close to that as a 15 year old car with 180k can be. Its been a NJ car all its life and salt wounds are digging in. Realistically it needs like $6k to be OK including $2k for just rust remediation, nearly every mount, bushing and bearing is probably due to over due, and the timing chain guides have been one start from failure for the last 10 years ( not really ) but you never know when it will hit you. So I really want to snag something soon. I have a second (slightly older 740iL )car to split miles on so its not too bad, but its also got a few age related things that will need attention soon. Anyway, I will push out at least to next year to possibly get a G20.
edit: important bit.. I am also really unhappy that there is not going to be a 6MT on this car. So I am considering other makes, but the G20 really reads/looks great on paper/in pictures. If the trans is not horrible, and if it drives nice, i'll likely be sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
I'd lease a first year but would not buy one...
Was going to say the same thing. I otherwise hate the idea of leasing, but with a new model ( that we might not even like/love ) new issues to be figured out, I would only consider leasing now for the first year or two, and then maybe buying one in another 3 years after that, maybe even luck out with an LCI.
I have prepared my angus for leasing, and am psyching myself to even enjoy it. Having a fresh car with nothing to worry about that dealer will not just make all better sounds pretty great.
Appreciate 0