View Single Post
      03-11-2024, 11:00 PM   #119
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Not going to sit here and argue early gen F series vs E series because I 100% will say that they are both junk.

I owned 3 E series cars... 2 x 335i and 1 x 135i... so I had numerous N54s and N55s in my stable... i will tell you right now that at the time they were the finest sporty sedans and coupes on earth... but that was a whopping 15 years ago now and things have drastically changed. First off - the reliability of those cars was absolutely horrid... the N54 is indeed as bad as people say, I have experience to back that up. Second - the suspension tied to those first gen runflats was unbearable and the car had severe traction issues with that junk rear end and lack of a true rear limited slip diff. It was nearly impossible to throw into a slide for that reason... the steering was very solid in terms of feel but the non M racks were also incredibly slow. The non M f series was made softer so it was even worse... but at the time the Lci 340i came around, it was a better car in every way.

Now, once we get into the G series everything is on another level... the M340i is stiffer, faster, more reliable and does everything better. You may argue its heavier and steering is less involving but the reality is that it will mop the older cars around any track or autocross you choose because the chassis is that much better.
It is rose-colored glasses with these older cars. I used to get E90 328i N52 loaners when I brought my Z4M in and I was like get me the hell out of this car as fast as possible. It sure as hell was not all that sporty.
Appreciate 3
ASAP10207.00
heavyD^23688.50
Gautam622.50