Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
By investing effort into adding or removing a badge, you're making a statement.

It's like people who won't wear brand name clothing because they dislike the image they think it presents. Instead they shop at second hand stores and garage sales, not out of necessity or thrift, but because they wish to present the opposite image. They act like they're above being concerned with what they wear, but ironically, they're also using clothing to present a specific image, just on the other side of the commercial spectrum. Their clothing selection is still motivated by concern over what others will see, instead of solely on what they enjoy or find comfortable.
okay so if OP wants to remove the m badge from the rear of their M340 what are your thoughts - I get your brand name clothing opinion but if someone removes an M badge from the back of their M340 your commentary you want to share with the forum is?....
People are removing the M from their car in order to not appear as a poser. Ironically this is still poser-like because their preference has its roots in the stratum of others' opinions.

The person who affixes an M badge to their car, and the one who removes the badge both obsess over the brand. One wants to falsely associate with the positive impression implicit in an M product, and the other goes out if his way to avoid any negative connotations associated with a fraudulently placed M.

I don't actually care what others do to customize their cars though. They can customize it to look like the General Lee for all I care. Not my thing, but whatever.
Appreciate 4
Nabzpv13.50
Cabby339.50