View Single Post
      10-12-2023, 05:23 PM   #3
mrmjb1989
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie (Wessex) View Post
Not sure I'd take the advice of strangers when it comes to dropping £100k on a car. As it is, you say yourself you're 90% set on the M3 Touring. So do it.

Now if you want peoples opinion......

Me, I don't really see the point of M cars. You spend £30k+ on a car (over the M340) and you can rarely use the extra power legally on the road. You state that for the X5/6M and it not being worth the extra, but suspect for wholly different reasons. Oh I know that you can say that about, for example, the 330i vs 340i too, and that is valid as well. We all know that these M cars are technologically pretty special, and I'm sure they portray an image that some want too, but as a daily I think others are possibly better, not least on running costs. But we all see things differently.

I was speaking with a friend who has an M3 Touring, and he and I both agreed that they (his car and mine) aren't that exciting to drive, not that I've driven in his. Very very competent & comfortable, which is why they aren't so exciting (not trying to damn the cars, as they are very good). One thing I did find very off putting, are those fancy seats in the M3 - as a daily they would send me mad! I'm sure if you turn traction control off and drift around corners it would be different, but how often do you do that on the King's highway? He has an old M2 for the fun bit.

So in conclusion, as we are all different, I'll stick with my M340i and you should get yourself the M3 Touring, not least as I think you've already made your mind up. Good luck with it.
My issue was that I’ve come from a 320d and one of the first things i drove following considering getting rid of mine, was the M3 and the difference was night and day. I’ve never transitioned to a 330 or M340 first. I literally thought I’m soon going to be in a position to spend M3 money, so just go for the M3.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the M340i tbh. Where I began thinking of the X5 or 6 was because the 3 series platform just feels a bit ‘samey’ newer toys, slightly more premium feel, but essentially the same platform. My neighbour has an X5M and my folks have an X3 M40d so there’s always been that appeal towards moving to an X over a 3 series.

But whatever I go for it has to daily first. It isn’t a weekend weapon or second car for me. It’s got to be the school run machine and a bit of fun all in one. So if an M isn’t really that great for a daily the trade off has to be some sort of premium with the ride and quality of the cabin etc. Which I think the X5 and 6 offer over the 3 series.
Appreciate 0