01-16-2021, 10:53 AM   #82
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
I’m 250 miles in my M440iX, so I’m still sorting out the car. It does drive much like the M340i, and Sport Plus is a lot of fun. Steering is okay in comfort, but definitely has more feedback in sport. I’ll add more after some more seat time and a little more spirited driving.

About the grille... I”ve actually measured the grill and from the outside edges of the surround, it is approximately 26.5 inches wide and 17.25 inches tall. So, including the surround, minus the dip in the center at the top and bottom of the center of the kidneys, the total area of the grille is approximately 450 square inches. The top edge of the grille at it’s highest point is only about 26.8 inches off the ground.

For comparison, if somebody is bored today... I would like to know that the dimensions/area of an M340 grill is, including the surround. I wonder is it’s really that much smaller, or is the angst over the 4 mostly about the different shape, which I suspect it is.
The issue, at least to me, is the orientation, not the size. It is tall and fat and looks soft. Wide and narrow looks aggressive. So if BMW is looking to sell sports cars that look fat and soft, then the new grill fits the spot. so, at least for me, measuring is irrelevant; design is the issue.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25064.00