View Single Post
      11-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #1429
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Thanks for the reference. I added the post number to your QUOTE tag so it’s easy for people to find the original.

Anyway, I suppose the next question would be, is there any chance that the N55 powered car is ending production to make way for a B58TU powered update? I acknowledge that it is pretty unlikely this could occur without ynguldyn getting wind of it. On the other hand, any breadcrumbs that might lead to the identity of and info about the new limited M3 model coming next year have escaped detection so far. So it does happen from time to time.
There is still that possibility, but you would think by now you would have seen spy videos of it or like you said ynguldyn would have gotten wind of it. Also there is fact the so-called M2 CS spy videos have zero additional aero bits, but yet they distinctively all have S55 exhaust notes. Also the vin numbers show an S55.

Quote:
This is somewhat believable. However, there’s not a whole lot of room to move it up market without causing the starting price of the M2 and M4 to be too close - in the same 60k-ish price range (overlap with the M3, however, would not be an issue since it will be gone by the time these cars start hitting the dealerships in numbers, and plus it’s a four door). So, it leaves questions about what to do with the M4. Perhaps they would make the 444hp engine standard and bump up the base price. Just thinking out loud.
It seems that the M2 S55 could not see quite the price bump some would expect. According to the vin the Competition isn't getting big updates, besides S55. Only other notable upgrades in the vin are M seats(712) and M brakes (2NH), both are options. Car still has dakota leather, new perforated leather is an option. Still no M mirrors, no carbon roof, no M merino leather, etc. You can see by the vin there is still some cost cutting, in my opinion to keep msrp comfortably under the M4.

Quote:
But, didn’t they do just that when they put the water injected S55 into the M4 GTS? I have my doubts that that engine “got a pass” in the area of regulatory certification simply because it was based on the standard S55.
It isn't just about regulations. There is a lot of R&D money that goes into packaging. For example...think about cooling, related to different packaging constraints in the M2 engine bay. Having to develop new intake and/or intercooler piping. Developing and manufacturing new pieces, then testing all that in different climates...it all adds up. Who knows what does or doesn't carry over. M4 GTS essentially was ready to go, all they had to do was slap on water injection and a tune. Then only worry about regulations.

Quote:
Furthermore, and I guess this point should have been weighted higher that the one above, it was never suggested that the S55 would only be used in the CSL. Right? As far as I know, the prevailing theory was always that it would be used in both the ”CS” and the CSL. So either way, it would see much more production than just a thousand or so units. The question on the table is whether or not the “CS” will become the new base model, not whether or not it will use the S55.
The prevailing wisdom from ynguldyn is CS is now the Competition, an all new designation. So we will get a Competition and CSL. The only cars running around have S55 in the vin. Unless ynguldyn catches wind of a vin with B58tu very soon, I don't see it happening. Only 8 months away now from EOP of N55 M2. Again this is just a theory and me trying to put the puzzle pieces together. I always kept saying..."why is there base looking M2's running around the ring with S55, they don't look like CS models at all". Also some N55 owners would be pissed with either a B58tu or S55 upgrade to base model, the new Competition designation gives BMW an out. Essentially justifying the move by saying this is an all new variant, but in reality it is the same car with detuned S55 and more options.

Last edited by DieGrüneHölle; 11-03-2017 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 1