View Single Post
      11-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #1430
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
It isn't just about regulations. There is a lot of R&D money that goes into packaging. For example...think about cooling, related to different packaging constraints in the M2 engine bay. Having to develop new intake and/or intercooler piping. Developing and manufacturing new pieces, then testing all that in different climates...it all adds up. Who knows what does or doesn't carry over. M4 GTS essentially was ready to go, all they had to do was slap on water injection and a tune. Then only worry about regulations.
Yeah, that I am with you on.

But when you addressed the idea that BMW would not go through the trouble of putting the S55 into the M2 just for the limited CSL model, it read to me as though you were using this fact as a means to further bolster the theory that the Competition model will become the new base model. What I was saying was that the S55 was going to see much more widespread use than just in the CSL no matter what they did with the base model. So, my point was, there is nothing about the Competition getting the S55 that adds any weight to the "base model theory". They could slot a B58 in either way - and the S55 will still get volume use in the Competition.

That said, ironically, the logic could sort of be used in reverse as an argument against a base model. That is, why bother certifying the B58 when most everyone will want the Competition model anyway? I think the the M3/M4 Competition package - which I do understand is a slightly different animal from this new M2 Competition - has a take rate of over 80% or something like that. So I could easily see how BMW might forecast that the S55 M2 Competition model would similarly dominate sales, making the B58 not worth the trouble.

Anyway, everything else you say makes a good deal of sense to me. I am still going to be a bit surprised if the S55 M2 doesn't get a good 10% bump up in price. I think the market will certainly bear it, and that would still leave it just under $60k MSRP to start.
Appreciate 0