03-14-2023, 08:52 PM   #27
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshxdough View Post
If this is updating to TU2 for 6 cylinder then yes it is still 48v but no longer has a starter motor generator on the belt drive. It has a 48v trans that can allow for better starting and smoother operation of MSA. Almost always starts from trans and not starter whereas the previous 48v cars would primarily start cold with starter and then once warm through the 48V SGR
Good to know. Thanks for the information. I assumed the 23’ MY was still on the belt drive mounted MH setup “Gen 1”. The TU2 is necessary for the transmission mounted MH setup “Gen 2”. It appears like as you stated the benefits of the transmission mounted setup are startup via the battery even on cold startup. Gen 1 does it, but the system only engages after warmup for stop start, not from the beginning. It also appears like it is able to add more torque fill across the power range compared to the belt mounted.

According to what I’ve found, the HP remains roughly the same between Gen 1 and Gen 2 (low to mid 10s depending on the vehicle). Torque numbers were never given for Gen 1, likely because it was limited torque added across the range due to where it was mounted. Having Gen 2 be trans mounted means the ability to access more torque when needed is possible.

That said, others have stated the torque fill is fairly limited. A good post I’ve found from xlover : https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...14&postcount=7
Appreciate 0