View Single Post
      03-14-2023, 10:56 PM   #29
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxXHD View Post
Good to know. Thanks for the information. I assumed the 23’ MY was still on the belt drive mounted MH setup “Gen 1”. The TU2 is necessary for the transmission mounted MH setup “Gen 2”. It appears like as you stated the benefits of the transmission mounted setup are startup via the battery even on cold startup. Gen 1 does it, but the system only engages after warmup for stop start, not from the beginning. It also appears like it is able to add more torque fill across the power range compared to the belt mounted.

According to what I’ve found, the HP remains roughly the same between Gen 1 and Gen 2 (low to mid 10s depending on the vehicle). Torque numbers were never given for Gen 1, likely because it was limited torque added across the range due to where it was mounted. Having Gen 2 be trans mounted means the ability to access more torque when needed is possible.

That said, others have stated the torque fill is fairly limited. A good post I’ve found from xlover : https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...14&postcount=7
could be correct

the formula is HP = Torque X RPM plus some constant (1/5252 for ICE, no idea what it is for the mild hybrid motor)

so if decent torque at low rpm then low hp but ... yeah ... who knows ... it sounds like it needs to be at very very low RPM. which does make sense, if it's for getting the car moving from standstill.

Last edited by G30M; 03-15-2023 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 0