View Single Post
      03-15-2023, 01:48 PM   #39
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Maybe I’m crazy or uninformed, but this “belt” talk about the M340i mild hybrid is the first time in four years I’ve heard anything like that. From the very first introduction of the mild hybrid into the 2021 M340i what I read and what my understanding was is the traditional starter was replaced from the very beginning and the mild hybrid motor/generator was integrated into the transmission from the very beginning. That was the thing that was talked about that made the ASS engagement so smooth in the new car. This has been my understanding right from the start. This is what I was reading. I’m pretty sure I didn’t dream that, since I knew nothing about the system until I read about it.

This interview from January 2019 seems to indicate “Generation 2” was what was about to be introduced.

“The engineering chief at BMW says that the company built some first-generation 48V applications just to learn the systems, but the focus is really on the second-generation.

“Generation 2 means that I double the electric power. I’m going to 20kW and instead of going to the belt motor alternator, I will go into the transmission. So we are partnering with ZF and at the beginning of the next decade, we will have the latest generation transmissions. We will not only have double the power, but also an integrated 48-volt system and because it’s behind the engine, we can do some crawling and some other things without using the engine. And the other thing is, that it has boost!””

Again, this interview was in January 2019.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/01/30/b...e-48v-systems/
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!