View Single Post
      03-15-2023, 02:42 PM   #42
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Maybe I’m crazy or uninformed, but this “belt” talk about the M340i mild hybrid is the first time in four years I’ve heard anything like that. From the very first introduction of the mild hybrid into the 2021 M340i what I read and what my understanding was is the traditional starter was replaced from the very beginning and the mild hybrid motor/generator was integrated into the transmission from the very beginning. That was the thing that was talked about that made the ASS engagement so smooth in the new car. This has been my understanding right from the start. This is what I was reading. I’m pretty sure I didn’t dream that, since I knew nothing about the system until I read about it.
1st generation MH is the belt drive motor generator system.

Only recently have BMW introduced the 2nd generation integrated MH system as in the latest 7-series. I remember press releases last autumn time for the integrated systems starting to be fitted to top end models.

All the technical details of the belt drive system and repair procedures are documented for cars like the G20 M340i.
Appreciate 0