Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Assuming quarter mile time is the only performance metric you care about.
We will have to see which is faster on the Nuremburg.
I think the F80 would be faster around the track based on my experience driving them both (on the street) but I could be wrong. Who knows.
I been in a passenger seat of an M4 before, never actually drove it but I felt the pull and I feel like the M340i can pass or keep up with it. No BS.

Four door cars are not my thing since I have no kids and don't care to have any friends but dare anyone that underestimates the M340i to drive one first, don't just go off the numbers, actually take one in an empty back road or a highway at 3am, then come back and tell me it's not better or equivalent to a current generation M4.

I guarantee it would change your outlook.

I have not driven any gen of a 3 series that matched an M3 in raw feel. Power and numbers are one thing but don't always translate to control feel. I left an M for my recent 440i and as much as I loved my car, it is not even close. Hence why I lease swapped the 440i and grabbed a F80.
The M340i has the same exact electronic torque-vectoring rear diff, active dampers and large brakes, not to mention loud-ass burbles in Sport Plus/Individual as any official M car.

I had this vehicle effortlessly sliding around turns without any hesitation, I can't see how an F80 can be discernible better unless you're arguing rawness i.e. loud and harsh.

This is unlike a 440i with an open diff, it's a completely different animal and closer to whatever an officially-branded M car goes for nowadays.

A vehicle is a machine, with is a sum of parts working together. In theory, if two vehicle share the same underling technology and parts, I don't see how they can differ in performance.
I appreciate your response and am in no way an engineer.

You are forgetting bushings, control arms, sway bars, suspension geometry, tire setup, camber, cooling, differential settings, DSC settings, damper settings (similar to the big difference between a standard an ZCP F80). M3 is a track level machine and tuned to a different level.

I've fully modified my 335is years back and it still couldn't touch a M3 in balance and control feel. I've driven an xdrive M340i and I'd love if it felt like an M3 so I could have the latest tech and car, but that is just not true.

We will have to agree to disagree.
The m3 and m4 coupe weigh significantly less than an m340i as well. The m-cars also have a lower center of gravity.

The m340i is outstanding for its segment, and more than enough performance for most motorists, but the m2/3/4 are more focused on performance in a holistic way.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24809.50
JTO245246.50
amrh296.50