12-11-2021, 08:10 PM   #18
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
....a bit strange to compare a 30+ year old car with a brand new one....
I'm sure the GR yaris is great but I doubt it'll reach e30 M3 like status.
I know you guys dont get a lot of small hardcore hatchbacks in the US, but here in europe we've also had cars like the Clio RS cup versions and such, that might be more comparable with the GR Yaris (although FWD and now aging to 10-15 years), but although very much loved, they don't* reach iconic status like the E30 M3, Delta Integrale or Urquattro, and I doubt the GR Yaris will either.

But we'll see in about 30 years
So I wonder, is the GR Yaris a true homologation car or is it more of a hommage?
I thought homologation was more or less dead in WRC and that compensation for not having for example a 4wd version in the production line up was easily compensated.

*)except of course for the insane Clio V6, but that car is of course in a different league for it's rarity
You doubt it will reach e30 M3 status? - That's funny because it already has.

Did the e30 M3 appreciate twofold in its first year of production? - Was it sold out worldwide 2 years into the future? - Was it swamped with waiting lists all over the world? - Was there ever an outcry in the US for not bringing enough of the e30 M3's here? - Never happened.

From a pure unicorn and specialness point of view, the GR Yaris is twice the car the e30 M3 ever was. And that's only in its 2nd year of production.

From an appreciation standpoint, it's no contest. I can personally guarantee you that the GR Yaris will appreciate faster and more than the e30 M3 did. It's more special in every way imaginable while retaining most of that old-school analog feel we lust over. It's also very likely the last combustion car of this pedigree.
Appreciate 0