View Single Post
      03-06-2020, 11:52 PM   #108
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
Really? I almost never spin my tires. Maybe once on a really bad road surface. Heck I can use almost full throttle in the wet with no issues. Using Michelin A/S3+ 285 rear, 265 front. TC engages less in my M3 than any previous 3-series I've owned. It has more traction and grip than any previous 3-series I've owned.

The jerkiness is lack of experience. I drive in Sport 24/7, sometimes in Sport+. Maybe my first few weeks I got driver induced oscillation but got past that really fast.

The ride with adaptive transmission is better than my old 340i with RFTs.

Most of the F8x are criticisms are so overblown. M cars are wonderful daily drivers. The M340i I test drove was boring.

The new tech is nice, so I'll be upgrading to a G82 when the time comes. But no going back.
I've had three M3's, the last being a 2017 comp pack car. All were manual transmissions.

I've driven standards since I was 15 years old. I'm 58. The bucking in the new M3 is not lack of experience. It is a well known issue with the car.

Also, the rear tires on an M3 will break loose at will, in first, second or third gear.... with new, non run flat Pilot Sport tires. The car can drift forever, better than any other car I have ever seen.

The M340 is a MUCH better daily. It is just as fast, handles 95% as well, is much smoother, is much more comfortable and isn't nearly as annoying.

The truth is the transmission is the weak spot on the M3. The Manual is improved over the 2008 vintage, but far from perfect. Not sure why they couldn't get it better.... from the throw to the clutch take up. The DCT was far from perfect, and to me ruined the relationship with the car.

The auto in the M340 is just about perfect. It shifts flawlessly. Perfectly.

I owned THREE M3's. The M340 is a better daily. Doesn't sound as sexy as saying you are driving a proper M3. But it is a better daily. Perhaps not for a successful 26 year old. But for this old fart, it's just about perfect.

If I want to shift, hear beautiful engine noises, carve corners or have people give my car two thumbs up, I'll take the air cooled Porsche.
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00