View Single Post
      10-01-2021, 06:59 AM   #8
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Translated from the Bimmer Today site: -

Due to the semiconductor crisis and the associated shortage of chips, BMW is taking the popular head-up display out of its range for many models. As the price list for the BMW 3 Series G20 updated for November 2021 shows, the scope of the innovation package has been changed depending on the engine: the previous quintet of head-up display, laser light, selective beam, driving assistant and convenience access is now only for M340i, M340d and 330e available - all other models are only available with a stripped-down innovation package that no longer includes the HUD. The fact that the innovation quartet is significantly cheaper at 2,500 euros than the original with a price of 3,650 euros should be a rather poor consolation for customers who, for example, wanted to configure a high-quality 330i or 330d.

If you take a closer look, you will discover the same adaptation of the range in some other important model series: The measure obviously not only affects the BMW 3 series (sedan G20 & Touring G21), but also the technically closely related BMW 4 series (coupé G22 , Cabrio G23 & Gran Coupé G26) and the mid-range SUVs X3 and X4 (G01, G02) can only be ordered as M440i and M440d or as M40i, M40d and xDrive30e with HUD. Further examples of the limited availability of the head-up display are the BMW Z4 Roadster (G29) and the compact class models of the 1 Series (F40) and 2 Series (Coupé G42 & Gran Coupé F44), here too, all engines are included With the exception of the expensive M Performance top models, they can no longer be ordered with the HUD. In higher series from the 5 series, the HUD is (previously) still available for all engine versions.

Of course, the price list does not give a reason for the omission of the head-up display, but the connection with the chip and semiconductor crisis is practically obvious: It appears that the BMW Group and its suppliers can no longer organize the usual quantities , which is why the Munich-based company is focusing on the top models when distributing the scarce components. The situation seems similar with the Driving Assistant Professional, which in the 3 series is only available for the M340i and M340d. Technical reasons are also practically excluded for this restriction.

If the situation calms down again, the unavailability of the head-up display should turn out to be a temporary phenomenon. How long the supply interruption will last cannot be foreseen at the moment. Similar but less prominent restrictions have already been implemented several times in recent months: Among other things, the charging cradle for wireless charging of smartphones is currently not available in the 3 Series and other series.

The new board member for purchasing and supplier network, Dr. Joachim Post, should do everything possible from January 1, 2022 to bring the availability of the required chips back to the known level. However, this task will not be easy, because the semiconductor crisis affects practically all car manufacturers - and while at BMW mostly only special equipment and individual shifts are omitted in the factories, other manufacturers sometimes have entire factories shut down for a long time.

Currently driving G21 M340i Touring
Previous F40 M135i and F31 335d Touring
Appreciate 0