06-12-2021, 09:14 AM   #59
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
How is it this weighs 4800lbs?? That's as much as a Model S Plaid. And 1000lbs more than a Model 3. Tesla loses almost no range from the base dual motor performance, and BMW loses over 50 miles between sport and the M50? Hope real world tests prove otherwise.
Since BMW is not Tesla they probably have different tests to dictate range. Unless you where their during testing you don't know the simulations they did to account for the range.

Also does bmw count the range after the reader hits 0 miles or does it count the range until
The battery dies? Don't know.

I know in the summer time I can get over 120 miles on a full charge in the i3 even though it's rated for 80 miles. But that's with no AC. Bmw rated it in comfort mode with AC running to get to the 80mile range.

Their was a report on Tesla's not meeting its advertised range not long ago and it wasn't until people found out to just keep driving until the battery died did they reach the advertised range even though the range on the car read 0 for over 10 to 15 miles before.

That will give you anxiety ! No different than driving with your needle on E until the engine dies for no more gas really but would they cut it that close????

It's also each company uses different programming for battery management. BMW may be more conservative with its battery tech, as the amount they will not let the batteries charge and discharge for maximum life expectancy is also considered.

My I3 is a 2014 model year and I still get the same range as I did new. Where as the leaf and zoe show much steeper battery rage decline over the years.

Theirs a lot of hidden information on these incredibly complex products the the end consumer never sees, and just makes judgments on a spec sheet. Time will tell and once these manufacturers get going and crunch the numbers things will continue to get better and better.
Appreciate 1
soheil64.50