View Single Post
      01-20-2023, 02:21 AM   #23
hlc1209
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 330e

Just posted a new thread https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1986158

Five days ago I got my new 2023 330e with the latest software version of idrive8. I actually had the GPS drift issue the day I drove it home from the dealership, but at the time I thought it was a temporary bug until it happened over and over again.

I spent some time doing experiments

Let's start with the conclusion: the position drift problem is triggered in the CERTAIN area. Let me call it the "trigger zone". When you leave the trigger zone, if the position has drifted, it will continue to drift, but if you reset the idrive (long press on the volume button), the position will become correct. If you enter the trigger zone again, the position will start drifting again.

Here's what I observed
I found a parking lot near my house will trigger the position drift 100% of the time
1. Disconnect the carplay, then reconnect. Open Apple Maps, GPS drifts immediately.
2. Forget the iphone, then re-pair it. Open Apple Maps, GPS drifts immediately.
3. Uninstall waze and google maps. Open Apple Maps, GPS drifts immediately.
4. Press and hold the volume button until idrive reboots 3 times. Open Apple Maps, GPS drifts immediately.
5. Factory reset idrive (all my personalized settings in the car are gone). Open Apple Maps, GPS drifts immediately.
6. Reset all settings of my iphone. Open Apple Maps, GPS drifts immediately.

In all of the above cases, the location of BMW's built-in navigation was always correct and the location shown on the iphone before connecting to carplay was also correct.

I have not tried restoring my iphone to factory and I will be testing this over the weekend.

I emailed my dealer and was told this is the first she has heard of this issue and the service center has likewise not heard of it. But I believe this is purely a software issue and don't want to disassemble anything in the first week of getting a new car.
Appreciate 2