06-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #16
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfk View Post
Okay so in case anyone's wondering, I checked with BMW dealer and they said in Australia it's LL-01 for gasoline engines and LL-04 for diesel (high sulfur petrol etc). The manual's recommendation is for European countries (even though it's for the Australian market!).

I topped up the rest (up to max) with 5W-30 LL-01 that I bought from the dealer. They said pretty much any fully synthetic oil is safe up to 1 liter, so the LL-04 I initially added shouldn't be an issue.
You will be fine. If you want to stick with what BMW uses, BMW switched from Castrol to Shell/Pennzoil for their factory fill a few years back. Depending on the market you live in, this will be either Pennzoil Platinum Euro, or Shell Helix. That way you don't have to buy the oil from the stealership and pay the premium for a repackaged product with BMW branding.

Whether your car needs LL-01 or LL-04 I think is dependent on the market in which the car is sold because differing markets have differing levels of sulfur content in their fuel. In the US where our gasoline has a higher sulfur content we are told to use LL-01. Europe where gasoline has a lower sulfur content, they use LL-04.

My understanding is that LL-01 is compatible with both high and low sulfur gasoline, so it can be used in place of LL-04. LL-04 OTOH is compatible with low sulfur gasoline only, and must not be used in engines using gasoline with a high sulfur content. If Australia uses high sulfur gasoline, BMW is doing its customers a huge disservice by providing them with owners manuals that contain incorrect information. Hopefully you simply got an incorrect manual, and they aren't putting manuals with incorrect info in all their Australian market cars.

Last edited by IraHayes; 06-25-2020 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Misread original post
Appreciate 0