kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
We're mixing up conversations. There's tires (winter vs. all seasons) and then there's transmission (AWD vs. RWD). Independent of powertrain, having the right tires for the right conditions is important for proper tire traction or grip.

Also, it's not so black and white about "stop to start" as you claim. It's about the getting and maintaining traction. If you've ever tried to go uphill on an icy surface, you know what I'm talking about. You lose momentum as you go uphill which you try to counteract by gassing it, but in a RWD (and traction control off because it doesn't work on a hill) you start to fishtail and lose grip and so you let off the gas and you're soon screwed stuck on a friggin hill while drivers with AWD wave at you while they drive by.

The physics is clear. All else being equal, you get better overall traction with AWD both from stop-to-start and in motion. Throwing in tire type just muddies the water.
Not really. I'm saying with grippy tires, AWD benefit is negligible in dry conditions so you are just carrying 100kg of unnecessary weight in the front-mid part of the car which translates to worse fuel economy and dynamics.

I can see the benefit of AWD if you are driving in snow for several months a year. Given, I occasionally go to touge(tight mountain roads) with 40 degrees incline on winter tires and I don't have trouble climbing up. It does however get hilarious when the road is icy