View Single Post
      09-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
Given that BMW can re-tool the production lines of the F30 & F32 in one month to produce the G20 & G22, is it not logical to think that they can do this with the G82 as well, and start production in 7/20? Or is there some physical reason why this would not be possible, or a business related reason? A wise man once said "Once the car is ready why not sell it and make tons of money?"
In isolation, this is a very rational line of reasoning.

Yet, if we take a look at the release timing of M products that are, as I write this, no less ready to go than you (and for the sake of argument, I’ll agree) are supposing the G82 M4 will be by 7/20 but are nevertheless still not on the market, we are reminded that this would be unprecedented.
  • F95 X5 M and F96 X6 M - the G05 hit the market a year ago, but there is no X5 M yet. And, while, the G06 X6 just dropped a couple months ago, it was not joined by the X6 M at launch. The kicker here is that we saw "finished" versions of both products in leaked photos here on Bimmerpost months ago.

• F93 M8 Gran Coupe - The M8 Coupe and Convertible hit the market already, so the development work has obviously long been complete. Yet, the G16 8 Series Gran Coupe, which is just now landing at dealerships, was not joined by its M8 counterpart. Instead that vehicle won't arrive on the market until next year (according to current prevailing belief). In this case the kicker is that we saw a concept preview for this vehicle well over a year ago.
Am I saying this guarantees a simultaneous G22/G82 launch won’t and can’t happen? No, but there is clearly more to the story than just looking at development mules and Series vehicle release schedules and concluding that everything could just come at once. It might just be that they want to make sure they are getting the non-M models screwed together right before introducing the M model which will have far more parts variation from its lesser siblings than any of them do from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Why this timing I don't know. My best guess is the ability to debug S58 in F97 shortened the G80 development cycle. And once the car is ready why not sell it and make tons of money?
That could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
My only argument against 7/20 would be "this has never been done before" but that's pretty weak. And as far as actual clues I've got none. However, just trusting my own intuition I would bet on 11/20.
That seems reasonable.

They aren’t even built on the same continent, but could the upcoming X6 M release provide some guide as to just how tight BMW can (or is willing to) make the turnaround between the standard and M models? I.e. do we know yet when F96 will begin production? I know that you’ve had the X5 M pegged for 2020 for over two years, but the month isn’t specified and it’s X6 M sibling isn’t listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Another possibility is that the M3/M4 while retaining the same basic structure of the new "big grill" facia maybe have differences now to differentiate between the two?
That would seem to be the least likely scenario yet, but given how crazy the events surrounding the G8x M3/M4 have already become, sure, why not? A distinct grill I could see as a reasonable possibility - that shouldn’t add too much cost. But headlights that are distinct from both the G20 and G22? That would seem to be a proposition that would be torpedoed immediately by bean counters. But maybe the G80 uses G20 headlights with this theoretical M specific grill, while the G82 uses G22 headlights with that same grill? Wild speculation on my part, but who knows?
Appreciate 1