10-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardvinger View Post
Great joining you all on this forum! I took delivery of my G20/330i this morning. It's been a joy so far, but I'm struggling to understand how to use my phone as a Digital Key. Wondering what your experiences are:
  1. Officially, the Digital Key on phones is only supported on certain Samsung devices, which is close to outrageous. Has anyone succeeded in making other Android devices work as a Digital Key?
  2. When I try adding a Digital Key, iDrive tells me to put my phone on the wireless charging pad. When I do that (a Pixel 3), nothing happens for about a minute, and a "transmission error" or something similar appears. Instead, I would have expected an error like "unsupported device", rather than the system timing out. Has anyone seen other, more appropriate errors?
  3. Let's say we follow the supported route and use a Samsung device. Will that device require the Connected Drive app to be installed in order to be used as a Digital Key?

I'll continue tinkering, but hopefully your experiences will be helpful!
Yes, CD app needs to be installed and a digital key is sent by BMW and stored securely on the device.
Appreciate 0