View Single Post
      11-26-2016, 01:37 AM   #1
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly

Electric future of BMW, and competing with Tesla - what are your thoughts?

I think sooner or later we will all drive electric cars, and IMHO it will be rather sooner than later. In my opinion, I think maybe 10 more years max and majority of market share will be electric. That's 2027. So basically it's only 3 new generations of BMW cars and that's it folks for petrol cars (some exceptions of course will be there still, like I doubt trucks and trailers will all go electric that fast). I may be wrong about 10 years, but it doesn't matter - it will be within our lifetime for sure.

So given that, let's share some thoughts - what will BMW be like?

IMHO if we take Tesla as a comparison (and I don't see any other luxury brand currently other than Tesla in the mass market) - I think BMW can take ANY current model it has and just exchange all petrol components (engine, transmission, basically all drive-train and associated accessories) and put instead a powerful electric motor and a battery pack (under rear seats, instead of petrol tank, as a floor panels etc) - I think that given powerful enough electric motor - ANY model of BMW should be BETTER in handling and driving while been plenty fast if not faster than Tesla. Currently Tesla only has mediocre chassis and body.

So essentially, what I'm trying to say is that BMW has already a vast knowledge and ready platforms of IMHO perfect chassis and bodies. I think brand-wise Tesla is no better than BMW. Yes, on average Tesla cars are pricier, but that is due to expensive battery packs - which will come down in price sooner or later. Eventually it will still be driving fun and chassis that will matter - and I think BMW, in that new world order of electric cars, can and should still be one of the best brands. Drive-trains will change from petrol to electric, but you can't change physics - chassis and body and fine-tuning of all components to get Ultimate Driving Machine - it's still going to be same deal.

What are your thoughts about all this?
Appreciate 0