Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
That said, generally the math works out that leasing and finance tend to break be about equal 3-3.5 years in.
It's more like 6-8 years for break-even, depending on the car and numbers. Especially for most BMW's it's closer to the 7-8 year mark because the residuals are so inflated in their leases as opposed to the actual residual value of the car if you purchase.
You're being way too general. You have to crunch the numbers for each deal individually.

In May, the M340i had a $3750 finance credit but only a $2000 lease credit. In my state, you pay taxes on the full price of the car whether you lease or purchase. After accounting for the $925 lease acquisition fee, the final price was $2675 cheaper if I financed instead of leasing. At that time, the special finance APR was actually lower than the equivalent APR of the lease money factor.

When using more realistic residual values (~80% of BMW's inflated residual numbers), I break even a little after 4 years. After 5 years I'm ahead by about $7,000 before subtracting any maintenance costs incurred between year 4 and 5. The longest I expect to keep the car is 5-6 years. I also like to customize the car and not have to worry about any end-of-lease fees.
Appreciate 2
hans007604.50