Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020g20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020g20 View Post
No thanks. Amazon is not logging audio recordings of me in my home, and it sure as hell won't be making any recordings of me in my car either. More than happy to click into the Nest app, Ring app or other Smart Device app on my phone in order to retain the privacy of not being recorded.
Great, good for you. Thanks for contributing to this thread.

——

For those of us wanting Alexa integration in our cars, we unfortunately have to keep waiting. As usual, I'm not sure why it takes BMW forever to roll things out properly. Audi, Lincoln, Cadillac, and Lexus all seem to be able to figure out Alexa integration; why can't BMW?
Apparently you missed the underlying point in my commentary, which is that BMW likely hasn't integrated Alexa yet because there is a large contingent of their sane adult customers that care absolutely zero about having it. Alexa integration isn't something than a billion dollar company "can't figure out" as you put it. Feature roll outs are tied to customer demand, and I guarantee you things like bug-free-iDrive, bug-free-CarPlay, Android Auto, Spotify via Connected Music, Drive Recorder, and OTA updates would all poll infinitely higher on that request list than Alexa. Will they do it eventually? Probably. But I for one am happy to see them focusing on issues that are more centric to, you know, driving a car than on privacy invading gimmicky smarthome features.
I'm of the opinion BMW lack of Alexa integration has less to do with what they think their customer base wants or doesn't, whether they can do it or not (technically), etc....

I'm pretty sure it's more about the following:

Amazon data mining once the service and mic are activated

Cellular data usage of the built-in LTE service BMW pays for during the first 3 years

Which features they implement and whether they permit 3rd party add-ons to run in the car

How this app/service works with their app sandboxing - reliability, cpu usage, memory usage, etc.

Mic/voice priority between apps and standard functions in car

They've got a lot to work out and balance with existing iDrive features/services.