Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
I also found this system dangerous for the reasons mentioned above. It's great on an urban road but throw in some potholes or a bicyclist on a rural road and it's dangerous. I turned it off since it's too aggressive. That being said I found that the vibration through the steering wheel to be not as strong as I'd like. On crappy American roads in the northeast, it's hard to tell if it was road noise or the wheel vibrating at lower levels below strongest. I also found myself floating more in the lane because the electric power steering doesn't provide as much feedback as to what the tires are doing. I think that's one of the biggest reasons that this type of tech is in new cars.
In comfort mode I agree but if you put in sport there is not more feedback but it's certainly easier to "center" for lack of better word
I actually found all of the modes, sport in particular as you mentioned, to return to center artificially quickly. When you let go of the wheel at the end of the turn it snaps back quite quickly rather than follow the tires trajectory and gradually come back to center. I think this is part of the problem and makes the steering darty. Again another reason LKA is needed.
Interesting, I found comfort steering takes artificially long to center while sport is about what I feel naturally it should do.
Appreciate 0