DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Discussion with General Manager at BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVlnStud View Post
I emailed the General Manager, and that did no good. I explained all the issues pretty clearly and sent the same video fast-forwarded to 1:11. All he replied with was that he was unclear as to what I was trying to accomplish. Isn't it obvious that I'm trying to get it in working order?
There is also a clunking noise from the steering column when fully turned left or right on a dead stop. Did you notice that at 1:11?
Okay, so he's really starting to piss me off! I ask him if he even watched the video, and all he could reply with was a Reddit post on " dry steering," and he says there was no link. (which was there) so I resend, and he replies with,
Are you trying to damage the car? You are dry steering. Dry steering is the act of turning the steering wheel of a vehicle while the vehicle is stationary. This action puts strain on the rack and pinion, pump, tie rods, and bearings, especially causes undue wear to the steer wheels, and can be exceptionally difficult in the absence of power-assisted steering.

I replied, There is always going to be some level of "Dry Steering" that comes into play while driving. It's unavoidable, and I would think its normal wear and tear that the car can withstand. I'd worry if the car was 10 years old with 100k miles, but I am talking about a new car from BMW, not some shitty Prius. ( sorry Prius owners, it just came out of anger) With a little more research, you'll find my point being right instead of some non-professional advice from a Reddit post (that he copied and pasted), which someone says that there is no proof that it damages the vehicle faster than normal clutch wear. Also, it's not like I sit there for hours dry steering the shit out of it. It was a demo for the video, which only lasted 2 minutes.
Regardless, the car shouldn't be making that noise even when dry steering, and you didn't mention anything about the brakes and carpet (another fucked up matter), so I'm assuming I have to deal with this legally.

With that, he replied like an automated answering service.

As I said from the very beginning if you would like my service team to look at your vehicle we would be happy to do so.
We can not properly diagnose your vehicle over YouTube/email.

There's gotta be someone higher up I can talk to about this. I can't believe I was talking to a general manager. It felt unprofessional and so far I feel like I'm the only one having these issues.
Appreciate 0