View Single Post
      12-28-2020, 12:55 AM   #7
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340D LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickkap View Post
Hey Andy, did you find out what the cause of this problem was? My can was serviced 3 weeks ago and just today i get the same message on the iDrive.

I stopped the car and check the level electronically and it showed it to be above Max and i'll check the dipstick tomorrow.

My only concern is that i got the can serviced at my local garage and not BMW so i'm not sure if i still has any warranty. The reason for this is because it's been in to BMW 4 times initially for a recall but they f**ked it up and other faults started to appear, so i wouldn't use them again.
Mine started going off about 10 days after the oil service. They drained some out after dipping it, saying it was "only slightly overfilled". I still had an overfill warning the following day and the electronic gauge showed three quarters full. The day after it was then reading maximum. It took a couple of days for the overfill warnings to stop and things to settle down. The warning has not gone off since and the electronic gauge is currently showing maximum.

My understanding is that the electronic oil measurement is very sensitive. They only need slightly overfill it as I believe they had done with mine and it will trigger the warnings.

Be aware that the electronic gauge appears to take at least a day or a few journeys to adjust and settle after it has been either filled or partially drained. The manual states that the electronic gauge does not read in "real time". Always go by the dipstick measurement for a "true" accurate reading of the levels.

If the warning continues to go off, you need to return it to the garage to check the dipstick and adjust oil as necessary before looking at a faulty sensor and warranty issues. Mine has been fine since it settled down a couple of days after they drained some out.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
rickkap37.50