Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny C View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quick update\synopsis:

It's been approximately 5 days, and although I still occasionally stalk the old M4 (sitting on the dealer lot all lonely! ), I am learning to appreciate the attributes of the M340i.

Although I haven't pushed the car hard yet, here's what I've learned so far:

- Acceleration: This car is a rocket. The power delivery is very refined, I can easily find myself going over the speed limit, without being aware of it. The on ramp entrance might not be as dramatic as other cars, but is effortless. In sport/sport+ the exhaust note sounds somewhat muted inside the cabin, and occasionally you'll hear the overrun burbles... which I like. I do plan on adding a downpipe and tune later on.

- Handling: I had the pleasure of going through a couple of roundabouts (during the rain nonetheless), in sport\sport+, at approximately 54 mph and the car felt planted. I had complete confidence during the maneuver, I cannot say the same about the dodge RAM Hemi that was behind me trying to keep up!! The night before, I went around the same roundabout in my wife's GS350 ( as a passenger) and there was a good amount of lean, at 30mph, granted it's not sport tuned...

- Interior: The controls are well laid out, and the materials feel top notch, I think Audi still has a slight edge in this department, but I do not feel BMW is too far behind. The seating is comfortable, once I'm in the car. But, I am 6'3", about 245ish on a good day, and entering\exiting the car can be interesting! I'm constantly brushing against the door seal when entering, maybe I need to drop some pounds or get an X4M40i!!

- Exterior: I'm still getting adjusted to looking at the car from different angles, the front grille is starting to grow on me, I guess it's just a matter of adapting to the design language. I do wish the M performance series had more styling differences from the 330i (eg. quad exhausts, slightly flared fenders), other than the cerium grey side mirrors and grille. I think it would be neat to show a more defined progression from 330i to full M. Although it does stand out in my subdivision, which has 3.5 BMWs per household!
How do you like idrive 7? widgets? BMW assistant? The extra gesture controls?
Well coming from iDrive 5, I think it's refreshing (ie snappy response, sharp graphics)!

Tbh, I've been focusing on the driving dynamics, so I haven't played with it too much, aside from the gimmicky gesture control which can be pretty spotty at times. It's a lot easier to use the keypad, but "Hey BMW" works surprisingly well!

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0