Thread: A big mistake?
View Single Post
      01-27-2021, 01:03 PM   #17
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

Did you consider a fully electric car, such as an i3?

I'd have thought you should be able to do the 22 miles without using much actual fuel but the range really depends on lots of factors once you start your trip. Running in electric mode, it massively depends on the type of roads, traffic, the gradient, speed, what else you are using (heated seats etc).

I can set off from mine with 24 miles of range (summertime, back when I was allowed to charge!) and driving a mile up the road (a steady uphill, 30mph zone) and the range will easily drop to 16/17 by the time I hit the main road to go downhill. Obviously, you'll get regen to add into the mix but running on pure electric, they really don't get massive range.

But it's a hybrid, not an electric car. So where it does well is in hybrid mode, out on the open roads. I've done a 40-mile round trip out in the peaks and managed 35 of those on electric. Lots of downhill stretches.

I've only done 3.3k since getting the car in June due to working from home and the only issue is the battery recall, which it still hasn't gone in for yet.

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 1
willougs266.50